How Much Does It Cost To Paint A House Interior Per Square Foot?
One of the most common questions that we have to answer is “how much does it cost to paint a house interior per square foot?” The first thing to say here is that the cost of interior painting is going to vary with different painters. Some of the larger painting companies have higher overheads and will charge more - but they often do a higher quality job.
With some painters they use state of the art painting efficiency techniques, and these will lower their charges per square foot. Please bear in mind that going for the lowest painting per square foot costs doesn’t mean that you are going to get the best value for money. The same applies to the highest cost representing the very best quality.
How much does it cost to Paint a House Interior per Square Foot?
Before we get into the specifics here you need to bear a few things in mind. Not every painting company will charge on a square foot basis. They may want to quote on the entire square footage to be painted. If the area that you want painted is small you could encounter a minimum charge for the job.
There are also going to be different costs per square foot for ceilings and walls that require “spray painting” as opposed to conventional brush work. Different surfaces can also attract different costs. Some surfaces take longer to paint, and if there is damage to the wall or ceiling then the costs will be different.
If you are looking for spray painting of walls or ceilings in the same color and there is no (or minimal) coverage of floors etc to contend with, then the following square foot painting prices are typical:
- At the lower end a charge of $1.50 per square foot. If you receive a quote less than this then you might want to avoid this painter due to quality concerns.
- In the mid range a charge of $2.25 per square foot is acceptable.
- At the top end a typical price would be $3.50 per square foot.
If you want conventional wall painting and your walls are not in need of serious repair, there are no complex color changes and the room has 6 corners or less then see the typical prices below. Please bear in mind that the cost of the paint will be extra if you go for higher quality:
- At the low end of the scale a typical price would be $3 per square foot. Again any lower and you will need to question the quality.
- In the mid range a cost of $4 per square foot is typical.
- High end price would typically be around $5 per square foot.
What about Per Room Costs?
Here there will be different prices for painting walls only and painting walls, ceilings and all trim. For walls only:
- Expect to pay between $800 and $1600 for a large living room
- For a small living room a typical cost would be between $320 and $680
- For your kitchen typical charges would be between $280 and $650
- For your bathroom a typical price range is between $175 and $425
- A small bedroom would have a typical cost of $200 to $380
- A large bedroom would incur a typical cost of $490 to $1000
When you are looking for painting of the walls, ceilings and trim then:
- A large living room would typically be between $1400 and $2000
- A small living room would typically be between $640 and $1100
- A kitchen would typically be between $600 and $1350
- A bathroom would typically be between $225 and $535
- A small bedroom would typically be between $450 and $720
- A large bedroom would typically be between $900 and $1800
We have answered the commonly asked question “how much does it cost to paint a house interior per square foot” in this article. You can use this knowledge to make sure that you do not pay too much for your next interior painting job.
Check Here for getting more information related to Interior Painting Cost Calculator.